The best way to rein in the corrupt banking power of the Big Four is to re-establish a public alternative. Australia has not such a public bank since Paul Keating and John Howard privatised the Commonwealth Bank in 1996.
The Citizens Party’s proposed national post office savings bank will force the banks to compete on retail services and restore banking services to every community in Australia.
For more than a decade numerous organisations and experts have called for an Australian public post office bank to provide a secure alternative to the private banking system.
Australians and the Australian economy are straining under the yoke of a private banking oligopoly which:
- starves small business and industry of credit while concentrating its lending in the housing bubble that prices young families out of buying an affordable home;
- maximises profits by preying on bank customers to extract wealth through asset-stripping;
- withdraws banking services from whole communities through aggressive branch closures to maximise its profits;
- denies banking services to anyone it doesn’t like, especially small businesses that are competitors to the banking system, making it impossible for them to function in the economy;
- is pushing to eliminate cash entirely, in order to lock Australians into banks and force us to transact electronically so the banks can trace our economic activities; and
- corrupts the political system through its enormous lobbying power, enabling it to always block any attempt to seriously reform the banking system.
What YOU can do to make a difference in this campaign
Take these flyers to your local post office. Click on the image to Download PDF for printing.
2. Call and Email your local federal MP and the MPs and Senators below
the preliminary analysis of the Maddocks Report along with the demand they stop the smear campaign, replace the board and reinstate Holgate. Parliament will be sitting in February, so doing this now will be of great assistance to Citizens Party representatives intending to be in Canberra at that time.
Anthony Albanese (Labor leader)
email@example.com (02) 9564 3588
Michelle Rowland (Shadow Communications Minister)
firstname.lastname@example.org (02) 9671 4780
Scott Morrison (Prime Minister)
www.pm.gov.au/contact-your-pm (02) 9523 0339
Simon Birmingham (Finance Minister)
email@example.com (08) 8354 1644
Paul Fletcher (Communications Minister)
firstname.lastname@example.org (02) 9465 3950
Demand the Nationals stand up for their rural and regional communities, which are so dependent on Australia Post’s services, and tell Scott Morrison to replace the board and reinstate Christine Holgate: